5/24/11

How important is physical strength in BJJ?

How important is physical strength in BJJ?
I've heard it uses leverage more than strength an most other styles. I'm going to get in shape then when i get back form uni I want to start.

But until then should I practice more strength training or should I focus on increaisng my fitness, I did some half traithlons so i'm generally in good shape. But was thinking of myabe doing something to increase anerobic threshold like hill sprints and cicruit training?

Which one should I concentrate on fitness or strength?

Posted by Bujinkan Ninja
Strength doesn't matter in BJJ as well as any other martial art. A technique is never forced. It's never strength against strength. However, it doesn't use more leverage than most martial arts. There are dozens of martial arts that use just as much leverage as BJJ. Don't get stuck on one style. BJJ is not the best martial art.

Posted by Duck_21
Strength does help, but technic is far far far more important. Feeling the balance of a person who is under or on top of you is critical. A skilled grappler can even close their eyes and know everything about your body position on the ground.
Eg if i want to get you off me i wouldn't just try and role you off. I would pull you the opposite way, wedge my leg against you, tuck in your arm then bridge.
Strength is not important, it just makes unskilled fighters harder to fight for other unskilled fighters. A skilled person will use balance.

Give your answer to this question below! More vigorous exercise can help improve fitness of the heart and lungs, which can provide even more consistent benefits for lowering heart disease risk. ... Exercise Fitness Blog


Orignal From: How important is physical strength in BJJ?

No comments:

Post a Comment